Urogynecological pessaries: practical skills for physicians
Gorbunova E.A., Yamurzina A.A., Apolikhina I.A.
Material and methods. Publications in international scientific citation databases were sought and analyzed; an algorithm and schemes for selection of urogynecological pessaries were elaborated at the Department of Aesthetic Gynecology and Rehabilitation, Academician V.I. Kulakov Research Center of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Perinatology, Ministry of Health of Russia.
Results. Urogynecological pessaries are first-line nonsurgical treatment for pelvic organ prolapse and UI in women. The authors present the practical algorithm of actions and scheme for the selection of urogynecological pessaries in relation to the manifestations of pelvic floor dysfunction, which have been developed on the basis of their experience in managing women with urogynecological pessaries at the Department of Aesthetic Gynecology and Rehabilitation, Academician V.I. Kulakov Research Center of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Perinatology, Ministry of Health of Russia.
Conclusion. To optimize urogynecological pessary selection for patients, it is necessary to comply with the algorithm of sequential actions, including the functional evaluation after pessary placement, as well as a step for teaching the patient how to use a pessary independently.
1. Fonti Y., Giordano R., Cacciatore A., Romano M., La Rosa B. Post partum pelvic floor changes. J. Prenat. Med. 2009; 3(4): 57-9.
2. Тюрина С.С. Сакроспинальная фиксация в хирургии генитального пролапса: показания, техника, результаты: дисс. … канд. мед. наук. М.; 2014. [Tyurina S.S. Sacrospinal fixation in the surgery of genital prolapse: indications, technique, results: diss. ... cand. med. sciences. Moscow; 2014. (in Russian)]
3. Аполихина И.А., Чочуева А.С., Горбунова Е.А. Урогинекологические пессарии: навигатор для новичка. Медицинский совет. 2016; 12:150-5. [Apolikhina I.A., Chochueva A.S., Gorbunova E.A. Urogynecological pessaries: navigator for the beginner. Meditsinskiy sovet. 2016; 12: 150-5. (in Russian)]
4. Коршунов М.Ю. Пролапс тазовых органов у женщин: персонализированный подход к диагностике, хирургической коррекции и оценке результатов лечения: дисс. … д-ра мед. наук. СПб.; 2016. [Korshunov M.Yu. Prolapse of pelvic organs in women: a personalized approach to diagnosis, surgical correction and evaluation of treatment outcomes: diss. ... Dr. med. sciences. St. Petersburg; 2016. (in Russian)]
5. Robert M., Mainprize T.C. Long-term assessment of the incontinence ring pessary for the treatment of stress incontinence. Int. Urogynecol. J. Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2002; 13(5): 326-9.
6. Franziska S. Levator ani muscle during pregnancy and delivery outcome: A three- and four-dimensional transperineal ultrasound study. Institute of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Akershus University Hospital; 2016.
7. Лечебно-профилактическая тактика при опущении и выпадении половых органов у женщин. Федеральные клинические рекомендации. М.; 2014. [Treatment-and-prophylactic tactics for the omission and prolapse of genital organs in women. Federal clinical guidelines. Moscow; 2014. (in Russian)]
8. Alnaif B., Drutz H.P. Bacterial vaginosis increases in pessary users. Int. Urogynecol. J. Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2000; 11(4): 219-22.
9. Attalah D., Lizee D.S., van den Akker M., Gadonneix P., Tranbaloc P., Villet R. Genital actinomycosis diagnostic and therapeutic diffi culties. Report of three cases. Ann. Chir. 1999; 53(4): 291-6.
10. Bouma J., Burger M.P., Krans M., Hollema H., Pras E. Squamous cell carcinoma of the vagina: a report of 32 caese. Int. J. Gynecol. Cancer. 1994; 4(6):389-94.
11. Schraub S., Sun X.S., Maingon P., Horiot J.C., Daly N., Keiling R. et al. Cervical and vaginal cancer associated with pessary use. Cancer. 1992; 69(10): 2505-9.
12. Hanson L.A., Schulz J.A., Flood C.G., Cooley B., Tam F. Vaginal pessaries in managing women with pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence: patient characteristics and factors contributing to success. Int. Urogynecol. J. Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2006; 17(2): 155-9.
13. Atnip S.D. Pessary use and management for pelvic organ prolapse. Obstet. Gynecol. Clin. North Am. 2009; 36(3): 541-63.
14. Handa V.L., Jones M. Do pessaries prevent the progression of pelvic organ prolapse? Int. Urogynecol. J. Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2002; 13(6): 349-51.
About the AuthorsGorbunova Elena A., obstetrician-gynecologist, a physiotherapist of the department gynecology and aesthetic rehabilitation, Research Center of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Perinatology, Ministry of Health of Russia. 117997, Russia, Moscow, Ac. Oparina str. 4. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Yamurzina Anastasya A., resident of the 2nd year of study, Research Center of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Perinatology, Ministry of Health of Russia.
117997, Russia, Moscow, Ac. Oparina str. 4. Tel. +79154482494. E-mail: email@example.com
Apolikhina Inna A., MD, professor, obstetrician-gynecologist, a physiotherapist, head of the department gynecology and aesthetic rehabilitation, Research Center of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Perinatology, Ministry of Health of Russia; Professor, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, Perinatology and Reproductive,
First Moscow State Medical University, Ministry of Health of Russia. 117997, Russia, Moscow, Ac. Oparina str. 4. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For citations: Gorbunova E.A., Yamurzina A.A., Apolikhina I.A. Urogynecological pessaries: practical skills for physicians. Akusherstvo i Ginekologiya/Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2017; (12): 115-21. (in Russian)